Flying High English Hub
How we work
English Hubs are primary schools that excel in early language and literacy teaching. We aim to support schools in achieving excellence in early literacy teaching through the initial focus of:
- Developing early language and closing the word gap
- Developing early reading through systematic synthetic phonics
- Promoting a love of reading
Our English Hub
Supports eligible schools to deliver excellent language and phonics teaching in reception and Key Stage 1 through the following:
- Attending a showcase event where we share our approach to the support we offer and enable you to discuss your school’s priorities and begin to establish networks with colleagues.
- Funding is available to support up to two members of staff from your school to attend a showcase event.
- An audit of your current early language and reading provision following the submission of a completed action plan which will set out your plans for improvement and any resource required.
- 6 days' worth of school-to-school delivered by our appointed Literacy Specialist Leaders for schools with the greatest need.
- Funding to support the delivery of the project and purchase of resources for schools with the greatest need.
The English Hub Team
Strategic Hub Lead
I spent 6 years as a Head, prior to this post. Being English Hub Strategic lead has enabled me to further specialise in Early literacy and Reading for Pleasure, whilst helping colleagues in schools to meet the reading challenge. I am also an independent early literacy consultant.
I have been a primary school teacher for 18 years and I am the Reading Lead at Hillside Primary School. Being a Literacy Specialist gives me the opportunity to work alongside Reading Leaders in other schools, helping to develop phonics and early reading.
I have been a primary school teacher for 25 years. I work alongside English and Reading Leaders in schools to develop robust systems to support best early reading practices. I am English Lead Practitioner for Flying High Trust.
Literacy Specialist based at Carlton Junior School
I am Reading and Phonics lead at a primary school in Nottingham. As literacy specialist, I enjoy working with schools to ensure every single child can learn to read.
How to request support
Any school can request support from the Flying High English Hub by contacting us at email@example.com or you can be referred directly by the DfE or a National Leader of Education.